Friday, August 14, 2009

Cutting the Bird

In this day, when people are driving miles out of their way to find gas that’s a few cents cheaper by the gallon (and really, 3 cents per gallon only adds up to 30 cents on 10 gallons) doesn’t it make sense to buy a whole chicken and cut it up yourself? A whole cut up chicken runs anywhere from $2.89 per pound on up. And if you want boneless, skinless chicken breasts, it’s upwards to $5.99 per pound. So when you find chicken on sale, or go to your local big box store, buy in bulk, do it yourself and save some big $$$. My 8 chickens cost me @ $1.39 per pound (this was at a good local store, for while not organic but substantially raised chickens); $67.00; if I had bought Foster Farms at Costco (and there’s nothing wrong with Foster Farms, they just use antibiotics in their feed - and if I can avoid that, I will) it would have been less than $40.00. Out of that I got conservatively, 16 meals and chicken wings for a big game party snack; PLUS a tasty stock that is going to be oh, sooooo good, better than anything you can buy in the store; damn, I think it’s a pretty good deal.

Think it’s hard to cut up a chicken, and/or make stock? Think again. I am not a trained chef, and while I can maybe do it a tad bit faster than you on the get-go, in time, you will be able to deconstruct a chicken in no time. And the only time it takes to make stock, is cooking time (we’ll talk more about that tomorrow). For now, check out how to cut up the bird, right here, right now.

LindySez – You can do it!

No comments: