Friday, December 18, 2009

Dinner Possible - Mexican Style Chicken

poblano chili

Yes, I love to cook.  But some days I just don’t want to spend a lot of time cooking, or going to the store, or cleaning up after.  And I also don’t want to go out and spend an hour waiting for someone to bring me some mediocre food and charge me an outrageous amount of money for the privilege of eating their “fast food” that isn’t.  On those days I make what I call “a pantry meal”.  Using ingredients I have on hand, a little imagination and voila, I came up with this really tasty dish that was simple to prepare and on the table in about 15 minutes.  Granted, my pantry might be different then your pantry, (I’ll write soon about what I think should be in a  well stocked pantry); but these ingredients are easy to find, easy to prepare and won’t cost you an arm and a leg either.

I started with some chicken breasts, (which I always have on hand), a poblano and jalapeno pepper, (leftover from my dinner party preparations); a bag of frozen Trader Joes brown rice (a really handy thing to have on hand, 3 minutes in the microwave); a can of black beans and some Mexican style tomato sauce (I actually made some of this with my garden tomatoes and chilies and had it in the freezer…but a canned one will work just fine)

Mexican Style Chicken on Rice with Black Beans


Cutting the chicken breasts
Preparing the breast for plating
Mexican Style Chicken on Rice with Black Beans
Mexican Style Chicken

LindySez:  I hope you check it out and try it.  Simply good, simply simple.  And all in about 15 minutes.  Cheers

No comments: