Thursday, February 25, 2010

Hello Dolly - How about a stuffed brownie?

Today is the opening of our high school’s production of “Hello Dolly”.  This was a rather ambitious undertaking by the school drama and chorus departments, with many set changes and technical choreography. I have no doubt it will be terrific, they have been working on it since before Christmas, with the past week being total hell week, well, technically it’s  tech week> This is when they really put it all together, orchestra, actors, set changes, as they say, timing is everything.   I helped as much as I could, painting sets, bringing food to help feed 100+ kids who were sequestered from the moment they left the classroom (about 3:30) until the end of rehearsal (about 11:00 that same night), although my little bout of pneumonia did put a bit of a damper on the amount of help I was able to offer,  but I was there, in spirit.  One other thing I offered was to bring something tasty for them to sell at intermission.  And there, I think I delivered.
These stuffed brownies I thought of when my client sent me a bunch of chocolate bars.  Perugina chocolate bars to be exact.  Bittersweet, dark, milk and some lovely filled ones, dark chocolate filled with caramel, milk chocolate filled with cappuccino and milk chocolate filled with raspberry and asked that I come up with some new recipes to showcase their newest product.  I know, it’s a tough job, but somebody has to do it.  Bittersweet, dark chocolate?  Easy.  But what do you do with filled chocolates, except just eat them?  Then I thought, what would happen if I put them in the middle of a brownie.  And how would I do that?  So here it is…

First off, get all the ingredients at the ready.



Next, break the chocolate into proper pieces.

Breaking out the KitchenAid, I beat the eggs, sugar and salt until thick.



Next I melt the chocolate with the butter and extra virgin olive oil in my very very fancy double boiler.  Yes, it’s a metal mixing bowl set on top of a pot of just simmering water.  Did I say olive oil?  Yes, reduce your saturated fat by using at least a mixture of butter and olive oil.



I used a mini muffin pan to make these, and they turned out great.  Fill the mini muffin tin about 1/3 full with the batter, then nestle a piece of filled chocolate (this is the Perugina cappuccino filled chocolate – but equally good with the caramel filled chocolate) then cover with more batter, making sure the whole candy is covered with brownie batter

Mini Muffin Pan Brownies
Now, ready to pop into the oven.


Can you say yum?
So good.

Stuffed Brownies

Ingredients
  • 2 bars (3.5 ounces each) bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 2 ounces (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 ounces (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 bars (3.5 ounces each) chocolate bars filled with caramel or cappuccino (I used Perugina Premium Milk Chocolate with Cappuccino and Dark Chocolate with Carmel filling, available in many grocery stores or at www.colavita.com) broken into squares

Directions
  1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil 2 mini muffin pans (or make in batches)
  2. In a double boiler set over simmering water, melt the bittersweet chocolate with the oil and butter, whisking until smooth.
  3. In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar, eggs and salt with an electric mixer until thick. Stir in the vanilla and flour. Add the melted chocolate mixture and mix until well blended.
  4. Using a small ladle (I use a gravy ladle); spoon a layer of batter into the bottom of the muffin pan, about 1/3 of the way up. Nestle a piece of the filled chocolate into the center; then cover with more batter, making sure the chocolate piece is enclosed.
  5. Place the pans in the center of the oven and bake for about 12 minutes, or until a toothpick, when inserted comes out with just a small amount of crumb clinging to it (just make sure you don’t go straight down the center where the melted chocolate is). Allow to cool slightly then remove from the pan.
  6. These are delicious warm, but store well in an airtight container. If you want to warm them up, wrap in a paper towel and microwave for about 15 seconds.
  7. Per Serving (that’s 1) 153 Calories; 9g Fat (4g Sat, 3g Mono, trace Poly); 2g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 34mg Cholesterol; 38mg Sodium.

LindySez - SoSousMe – If I’m going to eat dessert, I want it to be Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

No comments: