Monday, March 8, 2010

Betcha Can't Eat Just One ...

Homemade goodness, fresh from the oven…warm…crisp…potato chips.  And they are really so easy to make.  Start out with a fairly small potato, I used Yukon Gold, but I think they would work well with any waxy potato, like a red bliss or white rose (russet potatoes would have too much starch and I don’t think they would crisp up, but feel free to try them if you want)…

I cut mine thinly on a mandoline, as always, use the safety slide they provide or be VERY VERY careful, keeping your fingers well out of harms way.  Mandolines love to slice fingers as well as vegetables :-)




Mandoline

This is my OXO mandoline.  I just love it, it’s very sharp.  It’s also easy to change the thickness of the slices and it has two different julienne blades.  It does come with a slide/finger guard, but if you work carefully and slowly, you can work without it.  It runs about $58.00 at Amazon, and I think it is totally worth the price, because it’s so difficult to get the exact same size slice or cut with a knife, but with a lot of patience,  it’s doable. And having your veggies all the same size ensures even cooking, nothing still raw in the middle, while something else is getting mushy.

If you don’t have a mandoline, you could use the slicer side of a box grater.  It’s not as sharp and needs a little more elbow grease, but it can work.

Alternative Box Grater/Slicer




Once you have the potatoes sliced in a uniform thinness, here thin is definitely in…



Place them in a large bowl and drizzle with oil





I used Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  This is one of the advantages of making your own (other then the warm tastiness of them); you get to choose what kind of oil to use, what kind(s) of seasonings to use and how much salt to put on.  For this recipe, I used the olive oil, salt and pepper.  But think of other tasty combos, like smoked paprika, or rosemary.  Or some just plain good BBQ seasonings.



Ready for the oven

Bake for 10 -12 minutes at 400 degrees and voila!



Potato Chips, warm from the oven...

Need a recipe, here it is…

Homemade Potato Chips

Ingredients:

4 Yukon Gold potatoes, preferably small, well scrubbed
3 tablespoons COLAVITA Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Preparation:


Very thinly slice the potatoes using a mandoline, or side of a box grater (or if you have good knife skills, using a sharp knife); pat dry.  Toss potato slices with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper.  Place chips in a single layer on a cookie sheet (or 2 if necessary); place into a 400 degree F oven and cook 10 – 12 minutes, or until browned.  (While not necessary to turn the chips, it does help to stir them if they seem to be cooking unevenly).  Drain briefly on paper towels.  Serves 4
Per Serving: 106 Calories (57.3% from fat); 7g Fat (1g Sat, 5g Mono, 1g Poly); 1g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;  0mg Cholesterol; 181mg Sodium.  Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Fat.

LindySez: Try them, you’ll like them.

Just for fun, I thought you might like to see my Grandmother’s mandoline.  I’ve had this for more then 30 years, and I know she had it for a long time prior to that.  My son, Trevor, used to love to cut things with it, especially carrots, which he then salted and ate like chips.  Surprisingly, it’s still fairly sharp, but it doesn’t hold its blade position too well.  When I’m 75+ years old, I hope I’m still sharp, even if I can’t hold my position too well :-)




My Grandmother's Mandoline

No comments: