Saturday, June 12, 2010

Some Herbs + Chicken Breasts + Pasta = Dinner Possible

Caught between spring and winter here.  Can’t wait for the summer months to come, and I know, by the end of them, I’ll once again be looking forward to some rain and cold.  But for now, enough is enough.  Not being satisfied with the weather…I think it’s just the nature of our beast.
So here I am, another gloomy day, wishing I could grill something on the BBQ but knowing that water and fire don’t mix.  Besides, I’m really not fond of raindrops falling on my head when I cook.  Still I want to keep my dinner light, but also want it to have that cold weather, rib sticking satisfaction factor.  What to do? What to do?

For the light part, boneless skin-less chicken breasts are always a winner, and they have good mouth feel too.  Sprinkle on some herbs and saute them…good start.  Now for the rest.
What better says summer than zucchini?  Mine are a few months away, so I can enjoy them intermittently from now until I’m so sick of them that I want to scream…last year I had so many and I couldn’t even give the extras away.  It was punishment, I’m sure, from complaining too loudly in previous years about our dismal crop.

Another great taste of summer is basil.  OK, I have the light and the summer parts, now I need the hearty.  For that I decided to use penne pasta and part-skim  ricotta (got to keep in that getting bikini ready mode).  All done in about 20 minutes, from start to finish.  Easy and tasting good.  Something I think the whole family will enjoy, although for those of you with small children, it may take you slightly longer then 20 minutes if your children want to help…in whatever manner they feel is appropriate to your not paying attention to them.

Herbed Chicken Breast with Pasta, Zucchini, Ricotta and Basil

 


Dinner Possible

Serve this with a chardonnay if you are into the wine thing.  Something with just a little malolactic fermentation.  One without too much oak (I always say, if you want to taste a lot of oak, lick the barrel.) This uses the paired weight theory of  pairing food and wine.  Or try a French Pouilly-Fuisse; same principle.  Or you might want to step into Pinot Gris or Pinot Grigio land.  This keeps the dish, and the wine, in the same general region using the wine pairing philosophy of what grows where the wine grows, will go with the wine that grows there.

LindySez: Cheers!  Dinner Possible – done!

No comments: