Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I am Not Martha Stewart

So I’m sitting, enjoying my beautiful Saturday morning.  A cup of coffee and the paper. I open up the Home and Garden Section and peruse the Martha Stuart column; this one happens to be very timely, it’s about “How to keep your grill glowing”.  And here’s her advice for Gas grills:

With EACH use: Preheat grill with all burners on high, 10 – 15 minutes.  Scrub the hot grates briskly with a brass bristle-brush. Now, that makes sense.  You do need to preheat the grill before cooking, so preheat it, then clean it, then put the oil on it, then cook.  Gotcha.

Now here’s the part that made me think WTF: After grilling, close the lid and leave the burners on for 10 – 15 minutes to burn off any food, then scrub the grates again.  Really?  Martha, did you buy stock in  American Gas?  Are they a new sponsor?  I don’t know about you all, but propane costs money in my world, and not just a little bit of money.  I can’t afford to be running the tank when there is nothing to heat up for or cook.  In LindySez’s world, you heat it up, cook, then turn it off.  10 minutes of propane is enough to cook a steak, or a least some burgers.

So here’s the LindySez version of keeping your grill glowing:

1.  Do check your drip pans, and empty them of grease.
2. Do preheat your grill for 10 minutes or so before putting food on it.  And once hot, scrub off any residual food.
3. After cooking, make sure you shut off the tank and the burners, immediately.  Close the lid, to keep the bees and other critters out, and when your are ready to cook again, go to step #1.

Here’s my grill when I start:

Not pretty

And when I actually put food on it…
Now, that's ready for food!

LindySez: You can be fussy,  you can be overly fussy, and then you can be Martha Stewart fussy.

No comments: